DMD compilation speed

Random D-user via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 31 19:25:43 PDT 2015

> I've used D's GC with DDMD.  It works*, but you're trading
> better memory usage for worse allocation speed.  It's quite
> possible we could add a switch to ddmd to enable the GC.

As a random d-user (who cares about perf/speed and just happened
to read this) a switch sounds VERY good to me. I don't want to
pay the price of GC because of some low-end machines. Memory is
really cheap these days and pretty much every machine is 64-bits
(even phones are trasitioning fast to 64-bits).

Also, I wanted to add that freeing (at least to the OS (does this
apply to GC?)) isn't exactly free either. Infact it can be more
costly than mallocing.
Here's enlightening article:
https://randomascii.wordpress.com/2014/12/10/hidden-costs-of-memory-allocation/