DMD compilation speed

Jake The Baker via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 31 19:54:46 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 31 March 2015 at 19:27:35 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Tuesday, 31 March 2015 at 19:20:20 UTC, Jake The Baker wrote:
>> As far as memory is concerned. How hard would it be to simply
>> have DMD use a swap file?
>
> That'd hit the same walls as the operating system trying to use
> a swap file at least - running out of address space, and being
> brutally slow even if it does keep running.

I doubt it. If most modules are sparsely used it would improve
memory usage in proportion to that.

Basically if D would monitor file/module usage and compile areas
that are relatively independent it should minimize disk usage.
Basically page out stuff you know won't be needed. If it was
smart enough it could order the data through module usage and
compile the independent ones first, then only the ones that are
simple dependencies, etc).

The benefits to such a system is that larger projects get the
biggest boost(there are more independent modules floating around.
Hence at some point it becomes a non-issue.