ARM Cortex-M Microcontroller startup files

Meta via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 1 17:19:05 PDT 2015

On Friday, 1 May 2015 at 07:15:58 UTC, Timo Sintonen wrote:
> I repeat here that there are several output devices in a board
> at the same time like serial port and lcd display. Printf can
> not be bound to one device at compile time.
> It is not hard to take the formatter out of printf and make it
> a separate interface that can be connected to different
> outputs. this way we do not need the libc dummies. I think this
> is more the D and object oriented way. A hook sounds too much C
> for me.

You can use std.format to get printf-style formatting and then
pass the string to where you want.

> Even better would be a CTFE formatter. There was discussion
> about this last year. Anybody knows the state?

There are quite a few people who want a CTFE formatter, I
believe, but that also has the issue of causing a lot of code
bloat. Remember also that you *can* use std.format.format at
compile time:

enum str = "This is a %s".format("test");