ARM Cortex-M Microcontroller startup files

Timo Sintonen via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat May 2 01:33:33 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 2 May 2015 at 02:08:40 UTC, Mike wrote:

> I'm totally with you on this.  I don't want a "better C" or a
> "worse D".  I hope that programming in D on these
> microcontrollers looks very much like the idomatic D in other
> domains.  I want dyanamic memory allocation to be available for
> sure, but I don't want it to be a prerequisite like the garbage
> collector currently is.  IMO it should be opt in.

We should make a list of D features that we can have with and
without malloc. Then a test program that use all these feqatures.
An object file is not picked from the library if it is not used.
Options are not needed when compiling the library.

> Also, aren't you using this malloc
> (https://bitbucket.org/timosi/minlibd/src/15e88941c534a19e753fa0eebcd053b17392b7ad/tools/main/malloc.c?at=default).
>  That looks small and tight, but should be written in D :-)

It is ok for me and it is used in our production code that does
not yet use D. I am still open for other solutions.
These functions should be at least extern C because library code
written in C may use them.