ARM Cortex-M Microcontroller startup files

Timo Sintonen via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat May 2 01:46:55 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 2 May 2015 at 04:53:51 UTC, Jens Bauer wrote:

> The problem I've seen with most C-solutions, is that once
> someone uses printf, the binary suddenly grows out of
> proportions. (It may be because the programmer included a line
> for debugging only, and that causes the otherwise 1K program to
> be huge and almost not fit the MCU).

Std.format, as suggested, would be too big. I tis easty to copy
the printf formatter from libc sources. Or just write an own. It
does not have to support all the features. It is a matter of
taste if it is a c like printf function or a formatter class. Or
both if we like. Only the used ones are picked from the library.
.
>> Also, aren't you using this malloc
>> (https://bitbucket.org/timosi/minlibd/src/15e88941c534a19e753fa0eebcd053b17392b7ad/tools/main/malloc.c?at=default).
>> That looks small and tight, but should be written in D :-)
>
> It looks small and quite quick, but I think it would choke if
> allocating 256 blocks of 1 byte each and then freeing the first
> 255 of them. But I absolutely like the simplicity.

Every solution has its sides. This would perform poorly in a
solution that allocates and frees big amounts of small blocks.
But it is good when resources are allocated at the beginning and
then used trough the whole lifetime of the program.