std.xml2 (collecting features)

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon May 4 12:31:58 PDT 2015

On Monday, 4 May 2015 at 09:35:55 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> However, it would make a lot of sense to just convert an
> existing XML solution with Boost license. I don't know which
> ones are any good, but RapidXML is at least Boost.

Given how D's arrays work, we have the opportunity to have an
_extremely_ fast XML parser thanks to slices. It's highly
unlikely that any C or C++ solution is going to be able to
compete, and if it can, it's likely to be far more complex than
necessary. Parsing is an area where we definitely should write
our own stuff rather than porting existing code from other
languages or use existing libraries in other languages via C
bindings. Fast parsing is definitely a killer feature of D and
the fact that std.xml botches that so badly is just embarrassing.

- Jonathan M Davis