RFC: Pay-as-you-go, Portable D Runtime for Microcontrollers (and maybe more)

Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 5 02:22:23 PDT 2015

On 5 May 2015 at 09:48, Mike via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 5 May 2015 at 06:56:52 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
>>

>> Configure GDC with --disable-tls --disable-threads to get the desired
>> behaviour (disabling only TLS just makes codegen fallback to emulated thread
>> support).
>

> I didn't know this.  You mean if I configure with those options,
> TLS variables will be treated as __gshared?
>
> Mike

I have no control over what the backend does, but if it generates
control variables for them (emulated tls), then __get_address would
incur a small heap cost when first retrieved.

If the cost is too much (ie: there is no heap), then we should be able
to stop emutls from kicking in by preventing the D frontend from
returning true on isThreadLocal calls.