Quit running foreign unittests >_<

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 5 04:42:51 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 30 April 2015 at 02:26:19 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> On 4/29/15 7:43 AM, Dicebot wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 29 April 2015 at 04:53:47 UTC, Steven
>> Schveighoffer wrote:
>>> or rdmd -main -unittest -> fail to build because the
>>> templated unit
>>> test doesn't work on your code. Good luck with that.
>>
>> I will create an upstream PR to fix it, problem solved. Have
>> never had a
>> need to do so though, not even a single time.
>>
>> Also : can you please point me again what part of RBT causes
>> compilation
>> slowdowns with version(unittest)? I looked through and found
>> only
>> runtime checks.
>
> It's runtime checks that slow down, the unit test compilation
> is not slow (although it was at one point, but that was for the
> proper full unit tests).

Then test separation + custom runtime filter fixes the issue
without language changes.

>> And for that "move out of the aggregate" + "runtime test
>> filtering" does what you want.
>
> Move out of the aggregate makes it oh so ugly. I want my unit
> tests right where they belong.
>
> Runtime test filtering seems like it adds more complexity to
> the system unnecessarily. All I need is a way to say "yes
> compiler, I want to run those templated unit tests I imported"
> or "no compiler, I don't want to do that". What the default is
> really isn't important.

It is exactly the other way around. Implementing such
compile-time filtering would mean adding totally new feature to
the language, considerably complicating version system which is
very simple right now. And remembering all the issues we had with
-allinst it will take a while to figure out. You need something
better than "ugly" to justify such language change. Especially
when there is a working solution within existing rules - even if
it seems ugly, it is achievable without language changes and
addresses the issue.