Breaking changes in Visual C++ 2015

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu May 7 05:58:09 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 7 May 2015 at 12:16:18 UTC, d user wrote:
> If there's anything to learn from Go's success, it's that you
> don't need a good language design to be successful. If you want
> D to be successful, submit some PRs to SDC. If you want D to
> stay unpopular, keep moving towards Haskell with braces.

I think Go's "success" comes from:

1. C++14 is too complicated to make sense for many commercial
projects.

2. Java et al are heavy weight and makes little sense for
small-and-easy-to-deploy projects.

3. Go is designed around a single concurrency idiom with
theoretical backing, which makes running a pilot with it
motivating.

4. Corporate backing.

5. It takes a stance on aesthetics and is therefore not too
difficult to master.

I'd like to see someone make a list of programming languages that
are consistently growing (I think popularity is the wrong metric,
it can take decades). I bet they either:

1. focus on a particular sense of aesthetics

2. are tied to a framework

3. are domain specific

Very few languages ship with extensive tooling from the start.
Tooling gives a boost, but as you can see with Dart, that is not
sufficient. And Dart is arguably a better language than Go with
strong domain specific advantages...