Breaking changes in Visual C++ 2015

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu May 7 15:28:03 PDT 2015

On 5/7/2015 5:16 AM, d user wrote:
> the truth is, one of the biggest things holding D back from mass adoption is the
> complete lack of tooling compared to  basically every other mainstream language.

D has some excellent tools that are generally nonstandard, klunky or nonexistent
in other languages:

1. unit testing
2. documentation generation
3. coverage analysis
4. profiler
5. and as of last week, a memory usage profiler

I know many feel that these features can be improved, sure. But the first three
have knocked the ball out of the park, and number four is a solid hit. And
frankly, if I had to choose between 1..5 and package manager, static analysis
tool, linter, and formatter, I'd choose the former.

That said, I hope to integrate dfmt in with the main distribution soon. And we
are going to switch dmd front end to D in the near future.

But let's not forget the meat and potatoes on our plate while looking at our
neighbor's salad dressing.