Breaking changes in Visual C++ 2015

Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu May 7 23:30:29 PDT 2015

On 2015-05-08 00:28, Walter Bright wrote:

> D has some excellent tools that are generally nonstandard, klunky or
> nonexistent in other languages:
>
> 1. unit testing
> 2. documentation generation
> 3. coverage analysis
> 4. profiler
> 5. and as of last week, a memory usage profiler
>
> I know many feel that these features can be improved, sure. But the
> first three have knocked the ball out of the park, and number four is a
> solid hit. And frankly, if I had to choose between 1..5 and package
> manager, static analysis tool, linter, and formatter, I'd choose the
> former.

I guess we just have different preferences. I would only choose unit
testing and documentation generation from your list, if I have to
choose. Perhaps I would even choose package manager as the most
important tool, because the other tools could be provided by packages in
the package manager.

Regards to unit testing, if I compare that with Ruby, for example. Ruby
doesn't have language support for unit tests but there are two major
unit test libraries in use, one which is included in the standard library.

The built-in unit testing in D is so limiting that a third party
framework is needed anyway, and here there's no obvious library to pick.

--
/Jacob Carlborg