Breaking changes in Visual C++ 2015

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat May 9 05:28:04 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 9 May 2015 at 09:31:10 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Saturday, 9 May 2015 at 02:08:54 UTC, weaselcat wrote:
>>>
>>> Nobody's ever satisfied. Doesn't mean the tools aren't
>>> effective, and doesn't mean a "complete lack of tooling".
>>
>> I think it's important to air grievances with the language
>> because it won't get better by sticking our heads in the sand.
>> Stating things like "unit tests could have better reporting
>> capabilities" etc, sparks a good discussion on how to improve
>> them, and I think this thread is proof of that.
>
> I think it's good to have an honest discussion about these
> issues, but there is also a tendency of some to go overboard.
> At times it crosses into trolling territory where they'll post
> something negative just to be posting something negative.
>
> One incident that stands out followed an announcement that got
> a lot of press for D, and someone thought it was a good use of
> his time to post a laundry list of problems with the language
> in that thread, much of which was pure crap. Those posts do not
> contribute anything.

There is a tendency to bash and trash D for not having the exact
same feature that some other language has, or for not having a
tool that exists for some other language. This often gives the
impression that D is unusable and complete crap, unless, of
course, it will get feature X demanded by user Y. This type of
discussion is not constructive, but guided by personal likes and
dislikes and only creates a lot of noise with no real results.

There is always room for improvement in software. All programs
could be better, all tools could be better. But that something
could be better doesn't mean that it's crap.