Breaking changes in Visual C++ 2015

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat May 9 12:59:10 PDT 2015

On 5/9/15 10:30 AM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> I think the *real* cause of these comments is the perception (whether or
> not it has basis in reality is up for debate) that certain long-standing
> nagging problems have not yet been fixed, and doesn't seem like they
> will be fixed anytime soon, and yet statements are made that seem (in
> the eyes of the commenter) to imply that these problems aren't there.

Yah, that's what I meant to say. Thanks for putting it so clearly.

> Blanket statements about how good D (or that particular part of D) is
> may be wrongly taken as a denial of the existence of said minor (or
> not-so-minor) problem along with its associated frustrating experience,
> which aggravates the commenter to the point of posting an ascerbic
> response.

Again very well put.

> Another cause is that D has a core that's so ideal -- perhaps too ideal
> -- that people have developed an expectation that *everything* in D must
> be perfect, or else. They are not satisfied with a partial solution that
> meets 99% of the cases; they want 100.000%. The problem is, there is no
> single solution that solves every possible case.  Nobody agrees on how
> to get from the 99% to the 100%. Everyone has a different ideal of what
> perfection means. So no matter which route you choose, *somebody* is
> bound to get upset. Then when the chosen solution has been implemented
> and touted, the people who didn't agree with that solution get ticked
> off and react negatively.
>
> How to solve this, I don't know. That's up to the leadership to solve.
> ;-) But at least let's be clear that this has nothing to do with
> nervousness or tough love or anything of that sort.

One other aspect might have to do with ambition. We have great ambitions
for D that are very far ahead where we are right now with it. Yet
tooting our own horn, even though it's only mentioned as work in
progress, is considered "yah, we're happy with where we are, all good" etc.

Andrei