Breaking changes in Visual C++ 2015

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat May 9 16:05:46 PDT 2015

> ---- Warning! Another Boring Walter Cutaway -------------
Very interesting story.

> No, I'm not suggesting we unbundle unit testing, Ddoc, coverage
> analysis, profiling, etc., into separate tools for marketing
> purposes. I'm just bemused by how perceptions work.

Affect is like an iceberg - 90% below conscious awareness - but
it shapes global perceptions, processing, and decision-making in
the brain.  (See  Camerer et al review paper).

What is not widely appreciated even by putative experts is that
affect shapes perceptions themselves, not just the hedonic
evaluation of those perceptions.  And people feel a certain way
towards D and look for reasons to explain their affect - it's
affect that is primary, not the rationalizations given.  But
affect towards entities and institutions can and does change,
sometimes for mysterious reasons (although the 'facts' tend to
change in line with the perceptions).  This is all in gestalt
psychology, and some of the work on mass psychological behaviour
done since then.

This is also a neglected facet of financial market behaviour.  In
2002 Germany was the sick man of Europe according to the
Economist.  But really, this was the moment of greatest error in
articulating that perception, because she was at that moment
beginning reforms that would lead to her prosperity today.  It's
how one responds to challenges that is important.

Perhaps D might be on a similar path (not sick, but maturing,
with concern over immaturity not fitting the nascent blossoming
of new tooling, library interfaces, GC improvements, memory
allocators, etc).