RFC: Pay-as-you-go, Portable D Runtime for Microcontrollers (and maybe more)

Mike via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat May 9 18:55:52 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 7 May 2015 at 14:48:08 UTC, Jens Bauer wrote:

> I already have supplied those options in my toolchain.
> But does anyone know if this is advisable when using FreeRTOS
> (or any other RTOS for that matter) ?
> -I'm asking, because I'm not using any RTOS myself, but there
> are loads of people who do.

In order to make the full stack in D, I think we eventually will
need to make 2 toolchains: a bare-metal kernel toolchain, and an
application programming toolchain.

The bare-metal kernel toolchain would not have some of the
high-level features of D, like threading and synchronization, as
that has yet to be built.  However, once a D RTOS is created with
all necessary features for theading and synchronization, then the
application programming toolchain can be made with a druntime
ported the D RTOS's API.

I've also considered another interesting approach.  It seems
possible to port all features of D right to the metal,
essentially embedding the RTOS directly into the runtime.  Then D
is your RTOS :-)

Mike