std.xml2 (collecting features)

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun May 10 07:38:23 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 10 May 2015 at 07:01:58 UTC, Marco Leise wrote:
> Well, I was mostly answering to w0rp here. JSON is both
> readable and easy to parse, no question.

JSON is just javascript literals with some silly constraints. As
crappy a format as it gets. Even pure Lisp would have been
better. And much more powerful!

> :) One can't really answer this one. But with many hundreds of
> published data exchange formats built on XML, it can't have been
> too shabby all along.
> And sometimes small things matter, like being able to add
> comments
> along with the "payload".

XML is actually great for what it is: eXtensible. It means you
can build forward compatible formats and annotate existing
formats with metadata without breaking existing (compliant)
applications etc... It also means you can datamine files whithout
knowing the full format.

> Or knowing that both sender and receiver will validate the XML
> the
> same way through XSD.

Right, or build a database/archival service that is generic.

XML is not going away until there is something better, and that
won't happen anytime soon. It is also one of the few formats that
I actually need library and _good_ DOM support for. (JSON can be
done in an afternoon, so I don't care if it is supported or
not...)