D looses in speed to Common Lisp

bachmeier via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon May 11 18:48:57 PDT 2015

On Monday, 11 May 2015 at 21:15:33 UTC, Dzhon Smit wrote:

Seems this:

--dynamic-space-size 4GB

is pretty important. I don't have that much RAM on my Chromebook
so I removed it. It dies quickly with the error

Heap exhausted during garbage collection: 1408 bytes available,
2240 requested.

I'm guessing that your code is not doing the same thing as the D
code if you have to use tricks like that just to get it to run.
Having used Common Lisp, I know your program requires extensive
knowledge of the language, and was the result of a careful
optimization exercise - unlike the D code. It's definitely not
the kind of code you'd write after reading Practical Common Lisp.