dmd build instructions from source don't work anymore

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 12 12:58:01 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 12 May 2015 at 17:41:16 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 5/12/15 10:32 AM, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
>> But either I am mistaken, or in future years you shall still
>> face a
>> choice between manually hacking up Phobos and DMD so they
>> compile under
>> this last C++-based dmd (a gulf which will widen increasingly)
>> or you
>> need to iteratively build compilers to cross the
>> multiple-version
>> bridges where changes to the source of dmd+phobos mean that
>> they no
>> longer compile with the last but one version.
>
> Yah, that's a classic. Usually multi-stage bootstrapping is
> used. One simpler way to accelerate that is to just download
> the last version's binaries (which is what
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/4645 does).
> -- Andrei

I guess that is fine if the binaries exist for the new platform.
Otherwise it should be just a screenful of code to iterate
through the chain of versions required, calling the build process
each time - either update_sh or perhaps it could be added to
Cybershadow's tool.