D casually mentioned and dismissed + a suggestion

weaselcat via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 12 13:26:07 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 12 May 2015 at 19:55:56 UTC, ponce wrote:
> On Tuesday, 12 May 2015 at 18:35:10 UTC, FujiBar wrote:
>> Walter would probably violently disagree with the "no decent
>> development tools" assessment. But I got to say that people
>> used to Visual Studio and XCode (like myself) not being
>> impressed  by D's 1980s-style bare basic command line tools is
>> not surprising.
>
> 1980s?
>
> I recently switched from C++ full-time to D full-time and with
> VisualD and Mago I simply don't have anything to miss. The
> debugging experience is only a tiny notch behind vanilla VS
> with C++ and the project management is a lot better
>
> So for me, tooling is at least as good as C++.
> To me languages without language package manager (like C++) are
> precisely the 1980s way of programming, alone in a corner and
> with minimal reuse.
>
> I don't see how XCode is anything to miss by the way either :).
> Mono-D can probably do better.
>

>> I used to be a command line / text editor / handwritten builds
>> scripts guy myself. But then I was forced to use Visual Studio
>> for a project and now I do not want to go back.
>
> You don't have to go back.

Next to C/C++, I've found D to actually have some of the best
debugging support - GDC/LDC seem to emit debug info on par with
their C++ counterparts, and GDB is just as usable with D(thanks,
ibuclaw) as it is with C++.

What counts as tooling anyways? C++ has so many static analyzers,
lints, code fixers etc because to use C++ you generally need them
- unless you're a certified C++ standard language lawyer anyways.