D casually mentioned and dismissed + a suggestion

Shachar Shemesh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 12 22:13:55 PDT 2015

On 12/05/15 21:35, FujiBar wrote:

> Walter would probably violently disagree with the "no decent development
> tools" assessment. But I got to say that people used to Visual Studio
> and XCode (like myself) not being impressed  by D's 1980s-style bare
> basic command line tools is not surprising.
I don't think the command line aspect of things is justified. With that
said, C++ has some really good cross referencing tools (e.g. in eclipse)
that D not only does not match, but with CTFE, I do not see how it /can/
match. I actually miss those occasionally.

What bothers me most about D, however, is that the toolchain itself
isn't there to pick up its share of the load. Transitioning between
versions of the compiler requires a task with several days' worth of
work behind it, and getting the code to compile on both dmd and gdc is a
full time task for someone here. With DMD's optimizer not worth much,
this is a real issue.

And this is before mentioning stability. I've lost count of the number
of times my compilation failed with an assert thrown by dmd, and just
last week I've had to refactor the code around a consistent segmentation
fault by the compiler when trying to compile it. It got better for it,
but ideally I'd like to refactor my code because I want to, not because
the compiler crashes unless I do so.

Shachar