rvalue references

Namespace via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu May 14 10:15:34 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 14 May 2015 at 16:53:04 UTC, bitwise wrote:
> On Thu, 14 May 2015 02:56:46 -0400, Namespace
> <rswhite4 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, 14 May 2015 at 00:12:05 UTC, bitwise wrote:
>>>

>>> Side note: DIP36 seems to be missing the table with the
>>> authors, status, etc.
>>>
>>>  Bit
>>
>> Huh, DIP36? DIP36 was rejected, but the authors (me and
>> Dicebot) are below.
>
> Hmm.. so they are ;)
>
>> I've heard that DIP69 is [quote]almost dead in favor of
>> DIP25[/quote]. That's why I'm a bit confused and would like to
>> know the scheme, if any. :)
>

> Makes sense, but if scope is dead, I assume it would have to be
> removed at some point.
>
> So I guess 'ref' could just take rvalues now that it's
> escape-proof right?
>
> Also, what becomes of the 'in' storage class? being just
> another word for 'const' seems like a waste.
>
> If it were up to me, I would say:
>
> 'scope' should be removed as a storage class,
> 'ref' should be left as is, and
> 'in' should adopt the behavior of 'ref' post DIP25
>
>   Bit

As Andrei said several times (recently here:
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/scaufixfdyyrbmijgitf@forum.dlang.org?page=3#post-mit5lp:241kpt:241:40digitalmars.com)
auto ref will take care about rvalue references. I've only hoped
that I could get a schedule for that or at least a confirmation.
:)

But interesting question, what will happen with scope, now that
we have return ref.