rvalue references

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 15 04:50:17 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 14 May 2015 at 06:56:47 UTC, Namespace wrote:
> On Thursday, 14 May 2015 at 00:12:05 UTC, bitwise wrote:
>> On Tue, 12 May 2015 08:54:15 -0400, Namespace
>> <rswhite4 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> As far as I know, the problem (or at least one of the biggest
>>> problems) for rvalue references was that they could escape.
>>> Since DIP25 is approved and already implemented this problem
>>> should be solved. Would it be possible to allow rvalues
>>> references now? I'm just curious what the mindfactory of D
>>> has in mind and what the scheme for that problem is.
>>

>> Side note: DIP36 seems to be missing the table with the
>> authors, status, etc.
>>
>>  Bit
>
> Huh, DIP36? DIP36 was rejected, but the authors (me and
> Dicebot) are below.
>
> I've heard that DIP69 is [quote]almost dead in favor of
> DIP25[/quote]. That's why I'm a bit confused and would like to
> know the scheme, if any. :)

There's been no official decision, AFAIK. I was just going from
the impression I got from Walter & Andrei's posts. But `scope` as
a storage class is still necessary, because there are many more
kinds of references in D besides `ref`. You can think of `ref`
implying `scope`. The next steps will be to a) complete the
implementation of `return ref`, b) extend it to those other
reference types like pointers, slices, classes and delegates, and
c) close the holes (see the thread "RCArray is unsafe").