Request for Features/Ideas: A std.archive package

wabi via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun May 17 11:01:41 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 17 May 2015 at 17:32:10 UTC, Liam McSherry wrote:
> On Sunday, 17 May 2015 at 17:02:13 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
> wrote:
>> On 5/17/15 9:32 AM, Liam McSherry wrote:
>>> I'd like to know whether there would be demand for such a
>>> package, and
>>> what the community would want in terms of the API and
>>> features. I
>>> haven't yet written any code for the package as the API is
>>> going to be
>>> one of the most important parts, and I thought it would be
>>> best to have
>>> agreement on what is wanted before starting on it.
>>
>> That'd be great. A few thoughts: (a) should use ranges through
>> and through; (b) might be interesting to allow libarchive
>> http://www.libarchive.org as engine. That's BSD licensed, but
>> we can interface with it. Or at least use it as reference for
>> low-level design. -- Andrei
>
> Ranges definitely.
>
> Rather than add libarchive as a dependency, it might be
> something to port the libarchive code to D. That would require
> licensing sections of std.archive under BSD rather than Boost,
> though.

It doesn't looks like a good idea to me (to port to D but more
simply to use this lib), just look to this:

https://github.com/libarchive/libarchive/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue

over 100 open bug reports ! The maintainers of the D package
would have to follow this from near and it couldn't be well kept
in sync. with phobos.