Request for Features/Ideas: A std.archive package

Liam McSherry via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 19 12:28:02 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 19 May 2015 at 18:46:34 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> Support for RAR archives would be nice.

It would be nice, but there isn't a great deal of documentation
(publicly, at least). The RAR developers provide code for
extracting it, but the licence forbids reverse engineering. At
that point, it's murky water and down to law.

For example, the UK's Copyright, Designs, and Patents Act allows
reverse-engineering (and explicitly supersedes any licences), but
only under certain conditons. The act states that
decompilation/reverse-engineering is not allowed if you "[supply]
the information obtained by the decompiling to any person to whom
it is not necessary to supply it in order to achieve the
permitted objective." Whether releasing D source code derived
from a decompiled binary counts as "[supplying] to any person to
whom it is not necessary..." is not something I'm qualified to
determine.

RARLAB have published technotes on the format, but I haven't read
through them and it is possible that they don't give enough
information. The technote on the RARLAB website also only seems
to be for RAR 5.0, so supporting older versions could be an issue.