shared libs for OSX

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed May 20 22:06:05 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 20 May 2015 at 21:35:38 UTC, bitwise wrote:
> On Wednesday, 20 May 2015 at 18:53:30 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> On 2015-05-20 16:44, bitwise wrote:
>>> I tried using a shared library for OSX yesterday. I opened it
>>> with
>>> dlopen, retrieved my extern(C) function, and called it. All
>>> was well,
>>> and it seemed to work(wrote to the console with writeln).
>>>
>>> But, I got a message in the console saying shared libraries
>>> were not yet
>>> implemented for OSX. What exactly is it that's not working?
>>
>> TLS, module constructors, module/class info, perhaps the GC,
>> similar things.
>
> Heh.. That's pretty useless. Any idea on the state of things?
> Like if there are plans to support this in the near future(few
> months)? I couldn't find many conversations on this. This
> kinda-totally ruins my plans(on OSX at least).

Actually, TLS works on OS X: dmd emulates it, while ldc has
native TLS using undocumented OS X APIs.  I'm unsure of how
full-fledged the support is on those other issues, but I believe
the big issue is that loading multiple shared libraries is not
supported, as that will take more work:

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/druntime/blob/master/src/rt/sections_osx.d#L198

If you want to talk to someone about getting more of shared
libraries working, I believe Martin is your man.