[PRs] How to update on Github

Baz via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu May 21 06:30:48 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 21 May 2015 at 10:42:34 UTC, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
> On 21/05/2015 10:39 p.m., ZombineDev wrote:
>> Basically you need clone your fork to your computer, add a
>> "upstream"
>> remote to github.com/D-Programming-Language/[repo name, eg.
>> phobos],
>> pull from upstream the new changes and optionally update
>> github by
>> pushing to origin (origin normally is github).
>> It may sound complicated doing this from the command-line, but
>> after a
>> few times you'll get used to it.
>

> Or for Windows/OSX you can use SourceTree.
> It is amaaaaaaaaaaaaazing!
>
> https://www.sourcetreeapp.com/

i'm a bit less enthusiast than you about this soft even if i use
to be:

+ easy commits: push/pull/commit
+ easy branches: switch/create/delete
+ easy remotes: manage different sources (e.g official & your
forks)

- more complex things, squash, rebase, still have to use the
console.
- big repositories are slow to open/refresh/switch branch
- several times ST has completly ruined my local repositories.
- it's a nightmare with any repos based on many sub repositories.
- it doesn't use *libgit*, but *git* executable itself, and it
doesn't seem to balance well multiple instances among the cores.

Still the best git GUI but it has some obvious problems and bugs.