Uphill

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 22 03:21:17 PDT 2015

I was recently thinking that D is a bit like climbing up a hill
or a mountain. For the most part you are focused on reaching the
top, yet every once in a while it's good to stop and turn around
to enjoy the scenery and see how far you've come. So here is what
I see:

- LDC/GDC: easy to download and use. Nicely packaged.
- DUB: great tool for project management
- DVM: great tool for upgrading from D to D.
- Phobos: has become quite a useful library. Ranges are an
important part of data processing, I don't wanna miss 'em anymore
- vibe.d: a web server in D.
- Projects in D: LuaD, PyD etc etc.
- the expertise that's involved
[add anything you like]

Mind you, this has been achieved without millions of dollars and
corporate backing and yet D is a real language with real
applications (only nobody talks about it). I know, there is still
a steep climb ahead of D, but let's enjoy the view for a while.
What has been achieved is by no means trivial.