Uphill

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 22 10:19:50 PDT 2015

On Friday, 22 May 2015 at 17:05:10 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> Agreed, D does have its warts and dark corners, but overall it's
> extremely awesome. I just can't bring myself to starting new
> projects in
> any other language these days (unless I get paid to do it, of
> course).
> D has totally wrecked my life, and it's all yall's fault!! j/k

LOL. The problem I have is that I'm not learning any new
languages anymore. Not only do I never have enough time to do all
that I want to get done with D itself, but if I'm working on a
project that I care about at all, I want to do it in D. But in my
experience, to really learn a new language, you need to either be
using it all the time at work, or you need to be using it as you
go-to language for all of your side projects. If you don't, you
don't really end up using it enough to really learn it. And since
I really want to be doing my side projects in D (and I work in
C++), I'm really not experimenting with other languages much, and
I'm definitely not learning them well. I haven't even learned
C++11/14 properly, because I can't use it at work yet, and almost
all the programming I do in my free time is in D.

But everything other than D is just so frustrating anyway. ;)

- Jonathan M Davis