Uphill

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun May 24 00:21:17 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 23 May 2015 at 14:20:40 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-05-22 at 16:00 +0000, Jonathan M Davis via
> Digitalmars-d
> wrote:
>> On Friday, 22 May 2015 at 14:11:49 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> > +1, finally, something other than the usual bickering on the
>> > forum. ;-)
>>
>> LOL. Don't worry. I'm sure that someone will come along and
>> start griping about something soon.
>>

> I think much of the problem is pure angst. And bad email list
> etiquette.
> In other language mailing lists I am, on a gripe thread lasts
> about five
> to 10 emails and then fades away. With this list it generally
> gets to
> about 300 or more. Usually covering, over time, seven or 20
> different
> topics completely unrelated to the original posting and
> retained subject
> line.

Self-criticism is necessary for improvement.

> Anyway now D has Rust to content with, as well as Go and C++.

Rust's syntax dooms it to the same niche as Haskell.  Go isn't
full-featured enough to really go after the king, C++.  There is
only one challenger to C++ and it's D.  It's a good sign that C++
has been copying D features recently, it means they're feeling
the heat.