Uphill

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun May 24 13:36:46 PDT 2015

Weaselcat:

> FWIW I'm not picking on Rust, I used it for a rather long
> time(while in beta, obviously) before I switched to D full time
> for my academic work and I don't regret my decision. I thought
> Rust would get more improvements than it did. I feel like they
> made so many poor decisions as the development went on, cut so
> many good features etc just to cater to the non-ML crowd that
> the language ended up being a frankenstein mess.

Hi.

Without wishing to dwell on the negatives of alternatives, might
I ask what made you decide to settle on D?  Do you have
collaborators who write code and, if so, how did the discussions
with them go about this?  For your use case, what have been the
main gains you have seen and how long did it take before these
started to come through?

I am interested because I may have the chance to persuade some
people to explore using D, and I would like to know honestly what
some experiences are of people who have made that change.  (My
personal experience may not be so easy to generalize from).

Thanks.

Laeeth.