Uphill

Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon May 25 09:34:24 PDT 2015

On 25 May 2015 at 18:14, ketmar via Digitalmars-d <
digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 25 May 2015 16:59:48 +0200, Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>
> > On 25 May 2015 09:45, "ketmar via Digitalmars-d" <
> > digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> >> that's 'cause GCC is untameable beast for average Joe like me, for
> >> example. ;-)
> >
> > Both have equal complexity, so that is no excuse.  DMD just operates at
> > a lower level, on a smaller scale, and forces you to think about the
> > effect on generated object code.
>
> i'm afraid that they doesn't have equal complexity. i can read DMD code
> (ok, even backend, it's hard, but doable), but i cannot read GCC backend
> code in the same amount of time. and there are alot more things i have to
> know to understand GDC. i made some trivial fixes in DMD backend, yet i
> don't even know where to start to understand at least *something* in GCC.

Yes, they do.  The key difference is that GCC doesn't require you to delve
into it's backend, as a language implementer, you only need to think of how
the code should be represented in it's tree language (ie:
http://icps.u-strasbg.fr/~pop/gcc-ast.html) - Because of this, I never need
to look at assembly dumps to understand what is going on, only tree dumps,
which are handily outputted in a C-style format with
-fdump-tree-original=stdout.