Status of Deimos bindings

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon May 25 17:08:36 PDT 2015

On Monday, 25 May 2015 at 21:43:18 UTC, rsw0x wrote:
> On Monday, 25 May 2015 at 21:33:15 UTC, FreeSlave wrote:
>> What's the current status of Deimos? I don't think that this
>> kind of bindings is useless, since not everyone always wants
>> dynamic bindings. E.g. for the sake of simplicity or static
>> linking. Actually Walter even fixes issues in these bindings
>> time by time, so I guess the idea is still alive. But I see
>> some problems now:
>>
>> 1. Some of Deimos bindings are not made into the dub packages.
>> Also not all of those which have dub.json (or package.json)
>> are presented in dub registry.
>> 2. No consistency on names. There're repos named with lib
>> prefix and without it either.
>> 3. I could not find information on how to propose new binding
>> to Deimos.
>> Currently we have some bindings in dub registry which are not
>> in D-Programming-Deimos. Would be better to keep these things
>> in the same place. One can filter dub registry by choosing the
>> Development library -> D language bindings -> Deimos
>> header-only binding, but some bindings (for example, flac) are
>> not assigned to this section, so you will not see them.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> I like how nim approaches this by making important C bindings
> such as SDL, Lua, etc first class members of the language. I
> believe that they ship directly with the nim implementation as
> ported headers barely take up any space. These are libraries
> that pretty much any language is expected to support.
> Bye.

+1

Anything without much cost one can do to make it easy for people
to get started with D will pay off, because small frictions in
life cumulatively have large consequences.

(Not cost-free given maintenance and desire to sync them with dmd
releases, but if the bindings are clearly identified as not part
of core D then it's better to make it easy than force people to
hunt them down).