Status of Deimos bindings

Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon May 25 23:38:36 PDT 2015

On 2015-05-25 23:33, FreeSlave wrote:
> What's the current status of Deimos? I don't think that this kind of
> bindings is useless, since not everyone always wants dynamic bindings.
> E.g. for the sake of simplicity or static linking. Actually Walter even
> fixes issues in these bindings time by time, so I guess the idea is
> still alive. But I see some problems now:
>
> 1. Some of Deimos bindings are not made into the dub packages. Also not
> all of those which have dub.json (or package.json) are presented in dub
> registry.
> 2. No consistency on names. There're repos named with lib prefix and
> without it either.
> 3. I could not find information on how to propose new binding to Deimos.
> Currently we have some bindings in dub registry which are not in
> D-Programming-Deimos. Would be better to keep these things in the same
> place. One can filter dub registry by choosing the Development library
> -> D language bindings -> Deimos header-only binding, but some bindings
> (for example, flac) are not assigned to this section, so you will not
> see them.
>
> Thoughts?

I don't think Deimos should be used. The biggest problem is that it's
the D core team that owns the repositories, instead of those how
maintain it. This will disturb the already busy core team with pull
requests and other things related to maintaining the repository.

It's much better to have Dub be the collection where one can kind
bindings. It's also easier to include the bindings if they use Dub.

--
/Jacob Carlborg