Status of Deimos bindings

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 26 00:24:55 PDT 2015

On Tue, 26 May 2015 15:51:20 +1200, Rikki Cattermole wrote:

> Really what needs to happen is getting Derelict-Util into phobos. And
> some CTFE magic to create static bindings from those (if wanted).
>
>  From there its just port the derelict libraries and deimos ones to it
> and PR for phobos.

actually, converting Derelict back to "header bindings" is fairly easy,
and can be done with sed. i did that for SDL and some others.

> Perhaps bindings shouldn't go through the review process. After all
> there isn't exactly bugs that can be introduced from it.

ah... Xlib bindings was all the way wrong both with `wchar_t` functions
and with enum types. first took me the whole day to understand why i see
no text at all, and second took me even more days to understand why XIM
calls doesn't fail, but not doing what they should. mechanically
translated defines with L becomes longs instead of c_longs (ints,
actually, on my x86), and that broke variadic args XIM call.

so i believe that bindings should be reviewed *very* carefully. actually,
bindings is the last place where people look for possible bugs,
especially if those are "officially blessed bindings".