Uphill

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 26 10:13:18 PDT 2015

On Tue, 26 May 2015 10:07:08 +0000, Chris wrote:

> With Go I have the sinking feeling that it won't be able to contend with
> C++ - or D for that matter. It took off due to Google and a fool-proof,
> easy-to-use infrastructure. But it is way too limited and limiting to be
> useful for more sophisticated tasks. Go's core devs even say that they
> wanted it to be an easy-to-use, middle-of-the-road language for those
> who work in their code mines, focusing on a high output, and it doesn't
> matter, if you have to write the same function or for-loop with slight
> modifications over and over and over again.

and it really doesn't matter... for Rob Pike. he also don't like shared
libraries and other bells and whistles. sometimes he is right, but
sometimes he is too radical.

Go is a "java from google", aimed to raise a bunch of easily replaceable
programmers. so, like java, Go can't be complicated. both Gosling and
Pike are highly talented people, and that talent helps them to design
dumb languages (which is not as easy as it seems ;-).