DIP78 - macros without syntax extensions

Dennis Ritchie via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed May 27 02:31:30 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 27 May 2015 at 08:14:36 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
> The problem with declarative macro system is that you would
> need to learn yet another language. Possibly turing-complete.
> And a declarative turing-complete language is an overkill both
> for usage and implementation. Imperative macros get it done in
> an intuitive way in the existing language.

Yes, declarative macros can destroy an imperative language,
because they can change the syntax of the language beyond
recognition. Ie macrosystem will be more powerful than the
language itself. Unfortunately, Nemerle, Scala and turned :)
But, in my opinion, there should be options to combine
declarative macros with imperative languages. You just need to
properly limit these macros to a certain moment.
Is not it possible to combine in the desired degree of
declarative macros with imperative languages?