Uphill

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed May 27 06:23:16 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 27 May 2015 at 10:01:35 UTC, Chris wrote:
> On Tuesday, 26 May 2015 at 17:13:18 UTC, ketmar wrote:
>> On Tue, 26 May 2015 10:07:08 +0000, Chris wrote:
>>
>>> With Go I have the sinking feeling that it won't be able to
>>> contend with
>>> C++ - or D for that matter. It took off due to Google and a
>>> fool-proof,
>>> easy-to-use infrastructure. But it is way too limited and
>>> limiting to be
>>> useful for more sophisticated tasks. Go's core devs even say
>>> that they
>>> wanted it to be an easy-to-use, middle-of-the-road language
>>> for those
>>> who work in their code mines, focusing on a high output, and
>>> it doesn't
>>> matter, if you have to write the same function or for-loop
>>> with slight
>>> modifications over and over and over again.
>>
>> and it really doesn't matter... for Rob Pike. he also don't
>> like shared
>> libraries and other bells and whistles. sometimes he is right,
>> but
>> sometimes he is too radical.
>>
>> Go is a "java from google", aimed to raise a bunch of easily
>> replaceable
>> programmers.
>
> Exactly. As such it cannot be a serious contender as regards
> quality and versatility. There will be loads of Go code around,
> millions of for-loops on hundreds of thousands of servers, but
> I don't think it will go any further. Languages like D that are
> flexible and take useful concepts on board are much better
> suited for the programming challenges of the future (e.g.
> sophisticated high speed data processing algorithms).
>
> The thing is that Java and Python (and soon Go?) hit a brick
> wall sooner or later. Huge efforts are made to improve speed,
> flexibility and whatnot (JIT, Cython etc). But the real problem
> lies in rigid and narrow minded design decisions taken more
> than a decade ago. This is why it's still back to C and C++ for
> serious stuff.[1]
>
> [1] For more than a decade I've been hearing that with Java
> 8.x/9.x/10.x this or that issue will be fixed, or that Python
> will soon have native performance. It never happens and it
> never will. It's time to move on. Take the D train. :-)

Only when I can sell D to customers that put money into this kind
of stuff

http://www.azulsystems.com/press-2014/azul-systems-and-orc-partner-to-enable-smarter-high-performance-trading

http://chronicle.software/products/koloboke-collections/

http://devblogs.nvidia.com/parallelforall/next-wave-enterprise-performance-java-power-systems-nvidia-gpus/

Ecosystems count more than language features.

--
Paulo