Why aren't you using D at work?

rumbu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu May 28 13:22:42 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 28 May 2015 at 14:38:51 UTC, Manu wrote:

> I expect I'm not alone. Please share the absolute blockers
> preventing
> you from adopting D in your offices. I wonder if there will be
> common
> themes emerge?

We develop tailor made CRM/ERP solutions, mostly in C# or ASP.net.

On the client side, it's obvious why I can't convince anyone to
use D (lack of standard GUI, lack of i18n support, unavailability
on WinRT/iOS/Android)

On the server side, vibe.d cannot compete with asp.net
(AD/SQL/Sharepoint/Office integration, Razor syntax, IDE
integration, report generation).

Therefore I took advantage of a situation we encountered -
payroll calculation for a big client (>50000 payrolls) took more
than 6 hours to complete. So I tried to write some payroll
calculation components in D. The main problems encountered were:
- lack of a decimal data type - you cannot perform monetary
calculation using floating point.
- lack of a chinese or japanese calendar in the std.datetime
module;
- missing of overflow checks for integral data types;