Why aren't you using D at work?

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 29 03:05:07 PDT 2015

On Friday, 29 May 2015 at 09:33:25 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
> On Thursday, 28 May 2015 at 14:38:51 UTC, Manu wrote:
>> I expect I'm not alone. Please share the absolute blockers
>> preventing
>> you from adopting D in your offices. I wonder if there will be
>> common
>> themes emerge?
>
> If you're interested in enterprise point of view, our ecosystem
> is build around .net technologies, it gets the job done, so
> it's usually hard to come up with a case for D. There is a
> small utility, which updates database in a multithreaded
> fashion and doesn't share code with the rest of the project,
> but it needs database connectivity for mssql and oracle and
> again D can't show any advantage in such use case.

Same here.

Our customers live in Java and .NET world. They also tend to
choose the technology stack themselves.

C++ only appears into the scene when there is the need for some
OS integration or performance boost. So just as JNI, P/Invoke,
COM component.

Also there are native compilers for both eco-systems around the
corner. .NET Native on one side and the AOT support is being
discussed for Java 10 (ignoring the commercial options).

For the customers doing mobile projects, we tend to go with a mix
of platform SDKs and some web help.

Overall, for the amount of C++ code that gets written, D would
hardly make any difference and cannot compete with the
eco-systems being used from business case point of view.