Why aren't you using D at work?

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 29 03:40:21 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 28 May 2015 at 14:38:51 UTC, Manu wrote:
> The trick is getting something (anything) to shift to D in the
> office,
> giving other programmers some exposure, and give us a context to
> experiment with D in application to our particular workload;
> that is,
> realtime processing and rendering of geospatial data, an ideal
> workload for D in my mind! http://udserver.euclideon.com/demo
> (demo is
> NaCl + Emscripten, we'd love to have written it in D!)

Are you working with Euclideon / Bruce Dell? Sounds fun!

I am not using D for anything serious:

1. Partially because C++/clang is more mature and does a better
job for real time audio. I am using my own libraries that
provides the features D has, but C++ lacks.

2. Since not using C++ at all is not an option, I've had to spend
more time than I've enjoyed figuring out how to do C++14 style
meta programming, which is annoying and somewhat time consuming.
D is better, in some areas, but lacking in others. So
metaprograming is not a good enough reason to switch.

3. D's memory model is up in the blue, C++ has locked down on one
model, Rust on another. I am currently starting to think that
Rust is a more likely option than D given the direction D might
be taking towards reference counting etc. But I am not using Rust
either… just watching how it develops.