Why aren't you using D at work?

ixid via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 29 03:48:35 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 28 May 2015 at 17:22:21 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 5/28/15 8:38 AM, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> * Forceinline.
>
> Thanks for initiating this! The lack of a means to force
> inlining has been unpleasant at Facebook as well. It would be
> great if we got this (and of course other items on the list)
> rolling. -- Andrei

I understand the position you and Walter are in that you are
nagged regularly for wrong-headed or pet features but I do think
a lesson needs to be taken from forceinline that standard
features like this need to go in. Poor Manu has been beating that
drum for so long. If multiple members of the community keep
coming back to a thing over time then it needs to be seriously
reexamined and not enter the state I see in some communities
where it because almost a religious commandment as the community
is sick of discussing it and there has been a command from on
high that it will not be that way. It's very much like generics
in Go. The problem is that people forget what the arguments
actually were and take away a possibly wrongheaded sense of
conclusion which fossilizes. Perhaps the issue re-openner should
be responsible for a detailed summary of the arguments previously
given before and against and any new additions rather than people
making references to disparate and sometimes private threads.