Why aren't you using D at work?

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 29 07:46:04 PDT 2015

On Friday, 29 May 2015 at 14:22:58 UTC, Chris wrote:
> However, for a constantly growing long-term code base, D is my
> language of choice. It's clean (i.e. maintainable), flexible
> (many ways to tackle new problems), easily unit-testable and,
> of course, compiles to native machine code. It also interfaces
> to C(++) which is very important.

Yes, C++ interfacing could prove important, if it can cover >95%
of C++ library interfaces.

Are you using D for a constantly growing long-term code base, or
planning to?

>> There is no way a generic solution can beat a tailored
>> solution when it comes to abstract datatypes and memory
>> management, so having lots of options in a standard library
>> sounds useful.

Ugh, I said the opposite of what I meant. I don't think having
lots of allocation options in a standard library sounds all that
useful, since I will most likely roll my own when hitting a
serious performance problem. Rolling your own is often the same
amount of work as "searching for  a narrow solution" unless you
are doing something really complicated.

I think many standard libraries could be cut down to the most
generally useful functionality. In C++ I use std::array or my own
data structures, I only occasionally use std::vector… In Python I
use no more than 5% of the standard library. Generally useful
solutions (like comprehensions) beats narrow solutions 99% of the
time, because when you need something narrow then the pre-canned
narrow solutions often require hacks to serve the purpose (the
wrong kind of narrowness or "fits perfectly except it doesn't
work when…X…").