dmd makes D appear slow

weaselcat via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 29 11:13:02 PDT 2015

In nearly every benchmark I see D in, the default compiler used
is dmd which runs computationally intense tasks 4-5x+ slower than
GDC/LDC

example of a random blog post I found:
http://vaskir.blogspot.com/2015/04/computing-cryptography-hashes-rust-vs-f.html

D is up to 10x(!) slower than Rust.

Well... dmd is. Under LDC:
MD5 is 5x faster,
SHA1 is about the same,
SHA256 is 10x faster,
SHA512 is 10x faster.

The kicker?
_all_ of these were faster than the Rust timings(albeit by 5-10%)
when using LDC.

This isn't the first time I've seen this, in basically every
benchmark featuring D I have to submit a patch/make a comment
that dmd shouldn't be used. Make no mistake, this is damaging to
D's reputation - how well does D's "native efficiency" go over
when people are saying it's slower than Scala and F#(mono)?

LDC and GDC need promoted more.

Bye,