dmd makes D appear slow

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri May 29 11:58:09 PDT 2015

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 06:50:02PM +0000, Dicebot via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Friday, 29 May 2015 at 18:38:20 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> >This will probably offend some people, but I think LDC/GDC should be
> >the default download on dlang.org, and dmd should be provided as an
> >alternative for those who want the latest language version and don't
> >mind the speed compromise.
>
> I did make LDC default compiler used in Arch but now people are
> unhappy with increased compile times so I may need to revert it back
> :)

Can't please 'em all... According to Walter, many D users want fast
compile times, and aren't as concerned about performance of the
generated code. But from this thread's OP, it seems there's another
group of users who don't care about fast compile times but want the
generated code to squeeze every last drop of performance from their
CPUs.

So I guess we should be equally recommending all 3 compilers, with a
note to help people choose their compiler depending on their needs.

Those who don't understand D are condemned to reinvent it, poorly. -- Daniel N