Why aren't you using D at work?

Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat May 30 03:44:55 PDT 2015

On 2015-05-28 16:38, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> I've been using D in all my personal projects for years now, but I
> lament coding C at work every day, and I pine for salvation.
> I seem to have reasonable influence in my workplaces, and I suspect I
> could have my workplace adopt D, but when considering the notion with
> other staff, we always seem to encounter hard blockers to migration
> that stop us in our tracks.
>
> I expect I'm not alone. Please share the absolute blockers preventing
> you from adopting D in your offices. I wonder if there will be common
> themes emerge?

I have never (seriously) suggested to use D at my work and rarely even
think about it because I feel it's hard to justify.

We're mostly developing the backend part of a web based system, with a
lot of services. Currently we're using Ruby for basically all code.
There's a couple services written in Go (for performance reason) and one
or two legacy systems in Java.

We don't have a lot of the issues others have posted here. We don't need
to run on Andriod/iOS, we don't need a GUI and our code is not as
performance sensitive that we need to use @forceinline or SIMD.

The biggest issue I see is the lack of libraries. I have not
investigated exactly what we would need but what I do know we need is:

* Web framework (vibe.d could be used)
* ORM
* Connection to Postgres
* A good testing framework (i.e. something like RSpec)

That's the bare minimum I can think of for now. I know there exist Dub
packages for some of these but with Ruby it feels much more "safe" to
use. The Ruby community is so much bigger, so many more developers are
using the same libraries we're using compared to how it would be in D.
It's not like Rails or RSpec are suddenly going to disappear.

The GC might be another issue, at least if you look at how many objects
are created in Ruby. But in D it would be easier to avoid heap allocations.

--
/Jacob Carlborg