Progress on Adam Wilson's Graphics API?

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat May 30 06:35:41 PDT 2015

On 31/05/2015 1:18 a.m., Bastiaan Veelo wrote:
> On Saturday, 30 May 2015 at 10:29:44 UTC, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
>>>
>>> Adam Wilson's DConf '14 talk [1] was an interesting and promising one.
>>> After that there were some commits a month later, but nothing after
>>> that. I haven't seen discussions or other activity on the graphics front
>>> since. Now another DConf has passed, and I wonder what happened to
>>> Aurora? Were there technical reasons that it hasn't progressed much
>>> further, and if so, can these be addressed?
>>>
>>> [1] https://youtu.be/PRbK7jk0jrk
>>
>> To my knowledge, it was just too large of a project so was abandoned.
>
> But was it a conscious decision to drop it, or did it just die? Would
> different design decisions have made a difference? What are the lessons
> that can be learned from Aurora for any future graphics initiatives?

 From what I can tell, just not enough man power so it just stopped.

But the lesson is pretty simple. Start small and dream big.

What I'm saying is we really don't have the basic infrastructure for
such an amazing project. One day, just not today.

Great example, if you wanted to play some music cross platform what D
library what you use? Hint good luck, none really exist.
What about window creation? Well Devisualization.Window (author) but
what would about integration into OSX's menu or Windows notification
area? Again you've got a problem.