dmd makes D appear slow

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat May 30 16:08:28 PDT 2015

On 31 May 2015 at 04:39, Shachar Shemesh via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On 30/05/15 11:00, Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>

>> When he says Windows, he means MSVC, gcc backend will never support
>> interfacing that ABI (at least I see no motivation as of writing).
>>
> I thought that's what MINGW was. A gcc backend that interfaces with the
> Windows ABI. Isn't it?

If your program is isolated, MinGW is fine. Great even!
But the Windows ecosystem is built around Microsoft's COFF formatted
libraries (as produced by Visual Studio), and most Windows libs that I
find myself working with are closed-source, or distributed as
pre-built binaries.
You can't do very large scale work in the Windows ecosystem without
interacting with the MS ecosystem, that is, COFF libs, and CV8/PDB
debuginfo.

Even if we could use MinGW, we ship an SDK ourselves, and customers
would demand COFF libs from us.
LLVM is (finally!) addressing this Microsoft/VisualC-centric nature of
the Windows dev environment... I just wish they'd hurry up! It's about
10 years overdue.