Progress on Adam Wilson's Graphics API?

lobo via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat May 30 18:26:47 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 30 May 2015 at 14:35:29 UTC, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
> On 31/05/2015 2:31 a.m., ketmar wrote:

>>> Okay lets ignore libraries that is not D. Like that one.
>>
>> i bet Devisualisation is using Xlib/XCB, so it's out of
>> competition too,
>> for example. ;-)
>
> Well then lets call a spade a spade and start writing our own
> operating system shall we?
>
> Personally I think it is more reasonable to assume certain
> libraries will be installed. Such as for Windows user32 and GDI.
> Where by there is no real alternatives. Like X11 for *nix.
> In other words, system libraries are fine to use. As you have
> no real choice in the matter.
>
> Now SDL on the other hand, you cannot assume will be installed
> or available. Unless you want to go bundling that or using
> static libraries. Still defeats the purpose of expanding D's
> library base.

Why do people always want to reinvent such well tested libraries?
Slap a nice D API over the top and reuse the hard work of others.

Besides SDL is pretty much ubiquitous on all platforms D
supports. You could even package up dependencies with your
bindings and the end-user wouldn't have to worry.

Honestly though if someone isn't willing to learn how to obtain
SDL for their chosen platform, even if it requires building from
source. then they should probably forgo programming as a career
or hobby.

bye,
lobo