Progress on Adam Wilson's Graphics API?

lobo via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat May 30 23:56:00 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 31 May 2015 at 05:17:27 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Sunday, 31 May 2015 at 04:46:51 UTC, lobo wrote:
>> Again, I wonder why would you reimplement what you get from
>> libpng?
>
> I've actually had people ask me what magic I did with my png.d
> because it often generates smaller files than libpng. It is
> easier to use an leaving out unnecessary bits made it faster
> and more efficient! (for our use cases, the full lib is surely
> useful for other cases)
>
> The thing with those libraries is they do everything, which
> makes them bigger and more complex. There's a place for that,
> sure, but it isn't necessarily better.
>
>> As for libcurl, well if a pure D curl impl is written for
>> Phobos it will be 100s to 1000s of additional LOC that require
>> testing and maintaining.
>
> Fun fact: curl is actually pretty buggy... and a pain to use
> too. I like it and use it for a lot of things, but I also
> replaced it (and again, like with the png, a lot of the things
> it does aren't necessary for me anyway)

I know cURL has numerous bugs, I work with them everyday :)

But so do many many others and that's partly my point; the
majority of bugs are exposed pretty quickly with that many users.

I'm also not convinced that a D PNG or cURL (or whatever)
implementation, used en masse, wouldn't grow to include all those
'missing' features and end up just as bloated. But now without
lots and lots of users to help report all those bugs.

Anyway, it's a moot point given that I probably won't ever have
the time to really contribute more than bug reports for D ;-)

I just finished your book by the way and thought it was a
terrific read. Nice work!

bye,
lobo