Uphill

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun May 31 00:54:26 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 31 May 2015 at 06:03:36 UTC, Brian Schott wrote:
> On Sunday, 31 May 2015 at 04:18:32 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>>> Furthermore, the adoption of this
>>> feature would seriously compromise our ability to produce
>>> AST- based tools
>>> for C++, and therefore put C++ at a further disadvantage
>>> compared to other
>>> modern languages vis a vis tool support.
>
> I find it hilarious that they can say that in a language that
> needs a preprocessor. Macros (and mixins) destroy AST-based
> tools, not things like "static if" that are right there in the
> AST.

Using macros in C++ is considered bad style and a sign of someone
sticking to Cisms.

With meta-programming, templates, strong enums, const, constexpr
and inline there are very few valid reasons to use macros other
than C copy-paste compatibility.

However, C++ seems to be really into the route of library only
language if we look at how it is available on mobile OS, only as
complement to the main languages, not as the language under the
spotlight.

Even on WinRT, C++/CX doesn't seem to get many followers outside
the game developers world. To the point that Windows 10 will also
expose DirectX as WinRT components (on 8.x it is only directly
available to C++).

--
Paulo